Thursday 10 July 2008

NAVITAS DIRECTOR SPEAKS OUT

The world of profit and education according to Peter Larsen, (founding director of Navitas)

“As a young teacher with a passion for teaching mathematics I hope I made a difference – but to be perfectly honest, I’m not sure.

As a principal guiding younger teachers, I hope I made a difference but again, I am not sure.

What I am sure of, however, and I take great pride in this, is that my colleague Rod Jones, other local and interstate founders of this enterprise and I “kept the faith” in relation to our focus on quality and never compromised on this in favour of profit.

We have, I believe, changed attitudes to the private “for profit” sector of the education industry, showing that education can be delivered in a commercial environment but without jeopardizing the nature of the profession or its underpinning values in any way.

No doubt others will judge us on this, but we certainly believe that we have contributed to influencing individual and institutional attitudes in this regard. We have, I think, “made a difference” and I hope you aspire to do the same in your own fields.

It really does give you quite a “buzz’.”

Extract from Peter Larsen’s (a founding Director of IBT, now known as Navitas) acceptance speech for an Honorary Doctorate from Edith Cowan University, 16 March 2008

Maybe the “buzz” Peter Larsen is referring to has something to do with the AUS$ 60m he is reported to have amassed from the activities of Navitas.

Meanwhile, the Australian Universities Quality Agency has expressed concern that ACAP (a private college wholly-owned by Navitas) has not provide the level of support needed by their students (see separate blog post below).

No comments: